Nicaragua Resumes Classes after Violence Wave

nicaraguan students
Classes had been suspended on Monday in order to guarantee security and tranquility of families. (Photo taken from http://www.lavozdelsandinismo.com).

The Ministry of Education announced on Tuesday the resuming of academic activities this Wednesday, in compliance with instructions of the Presidency of the Republic

Schools opened again today in Nicaragua at all educational levels, in a clear signal that the country returned to normal after several days of high social tension.

The Ministry of Education announced on Tuesday the resuming of academic activities this Wednesday, in compliance with instructions of the Presidency of the Republic and considering the peace and tranquility that reigns by the will of Nicaraguans.

Classes had been suspended on Monday in order to guarantee security and tranquility of families.

Last Wednesday a violence wave was unleashed in several cities of this nation that lasted for several days, due to political maneuvers of the right against the new reforms to social security, according to reports.

The tensions heated up to such extent that authorities reported the murder of at least 10 persons, among them adolescents, youths, civilians, police and a journalist, while non-confirmed sources informed of some twenty deaths.

Meanwhile, the Episcopal Conference accepted this Tuesday the role of mediator and witness to the dialogue proposed by the President of the Republic, Daniel Ortega, to face the violent situation lived recently in this country.

‘To facilitate the climate of dialogue we consider it essential and imperative that both the government as each member of civil society that in face of every act of violence, disrespect to public and private property, there prevails a serene climate of absolute respect for human life’, said Cardinal Leopoldo Brenes.

When reading a communiqué, the also president of the Conference, said they await with a sincere spirit and will toward the homeland, ways to peace must be found, Nicaraguans painfully confronted and civil society may accept them as mediators and witnesses.

That gesture was immediately thanked by the Sandinista government through a message sent to Brenes.

‘We deeply thank this disposition of the Cardinal Leopoldo Brenes and all the bishops, to continue contributing to the meeting, the tolerance and peaceful coexistence in our country’, expresses the letter made known by Ortega in a TV and radio speech transmitted nationally.

The text, read by Vicepresident, Rosario Murillo, also shares completely the proposal of sectors that could participate in the national dialogue, to which other would join.

Also, National Police informed the eve it had released persons arrested during the severe alteration of the public order that occurred over the last few days.

‘The National Police informs the people of Nicaragua that as of Monday, April 23, 2018, our institution started to release persons arrested’ during the riots, said general commissioner Francisco Diaz, deputy director of that corps.

Diaz sustained before the media that those citizens were already handed to their families and to the commission of priests, process already ended.

At the same time, he repeated the commitment of National Police to continue working to strengthen tranquility and security of persons, families and communities.

On the other hand, Murillo affirmed that Nicaraguan families wanted peace in face of violent events of the last days.

The normality we begin to see everywhere, the disposition of workers to continue the economic activity in their factories and markets is a signal that Nicaraguans show their will to live in peace, work and prosper, she assured.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *