Sancti Spiritus: Thirteen New COVID-19 Cases Out of the 850 Reported in Cuba

Sancti Spiritus informed today 13 new patients infected with COVID-19. In four of them the source of infection is unknown so far

.

Health authorities reiterate the importance of watching measures to control the spread of the virus. (Photo: Vicente Brito / Escambray).

Cuban health authorities reported on Thursday 850 new people infected with COVID-19, and four deaths hours due to complications from the disease.  

According to Dr. Francisco Duran, national director of Epidemiology at the Ministry of Public Health (MINSAP), the death toll rose to 253 and 1,772 people have been diagnosed with COVID-19 since the outbreak of the pandemic in Cuba last March 11, 2020. 

17,128 patients remain in hospitals, 3,779 of whom are suspected cases, 8,581 are under surveillance and 4,768 are considered active patients, he added.  

The number of patients discharged in the last few hours (1,021) exceeds the number of new confirmned cases (850), Dr. Duran said.   

After today’s report, the total number of people who have tested positive for the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus is 35,772 and those who recovered total 30,695 (85 percent of confirmed cases since last March).  

Dr. Duran explained that in order to detect the disease, 18,614 PCR tests were made on Wednesday, totaling 2,088,032 million since the outbreak of the pandemic.  

Of those diagnosed on Wednesday, 108 patients are under 18 years of age, which brings to 3,894 the number of positive cases in this age group.  

The expert said that 84.5 percent of them have recovered, but 690 remain with the active virus in a stable state.  

National authorities reiterate the importance of self-responsibility and strict compliance with protective measures to control the spread of the virus.  

(With information from PL)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *