According to records, the reconstruction and adaptation of the valuable edifice were begun in 1983. The inauguration, which took place on June 1st, 1984, was attended by Commander of the Revolution Juan Almeida Bosque, the then Minister of Culture Armando Hart Dávalos, and Sandinista Commander Omar Cabezas Lacayo; as well as by officials and combatants who had participated in the struggle.
This museum, which is the only one of its kind in the island, holds the essential moments of the acute class confrontation unleashed in Cuba from 1959 to 1965.
Miguelina Duarte, senior specialist of the museum, told Escambray that “due to the importance of the events that took place during those years, as well as that of the actions carried out in the regions of Escambray and Trinidad, it was decided to have an institution for the exhibition, preservation, and promotion of the historic facts, including the weapons used by the members of the Revolutionary National Militia and by the bandits, parachute fragments, uniforms, and Santa Juana seed collars, among other things”.
For over three decades, the institution has played a relevant role in the promotion, exhibition, and preservation of this historical and patrimonial legacy. Its documentation center is certified by both the Ministry of Interior and the National Institute of History. It also has two annexed dependencies also linked to the events: the house-museum of Manuel Ascunce and Pedro Lantigua, and that of Alberto Delgado.